Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What's In Your Wallet?

Can you begin to identify me using only my wallet and its contents? The wallet itself is a brown leather bi-fold, a little chewed up around the edges and I can see a faded Dockers' stamp on the inside. Inside it has four staggered pockets on the right to hold cards and on the left it has a removable flap with clear plastic for an ID. Behind the ID and card holders there are two long pockets (I think this is where all the money is supposed to go). Now let’s move to the contents. In one of the long pockets there are eight $1 bills. The other has a receipt from Master Park Lot B, a receipt for Stinger Rays (burger place in Kahului Airport), an appointment card for massage therapy and another appointment card for a Chiropractor. In the four card pockets there is: 1 VISA Card, 1 American Express Card, 1 Regal Cinemas Crown Club Card, 1 Health Insurance Card, 1 Delta Dental Card, and proof of auto insurance. On the other side in the removable flap I have my Washington State DL, a City of Everett ID Card, a concealed carry permit, an IAFF Union Card, an EVAP certification and my EMT license. In my last pocket there are some various business cards, mine included.

In this writing I’ve analyzed the contents of my wallet. Other than the receipts from a recent vacation the contents seem to be only necessary items or, at least, frequently used items. I don’t know if you noticed it or not, but there aren’t even any pictures inside. Collectively, the contents of my wallet represent my identity pretty well. I am organized and efficient and use each tool for its specified purpose. My wallet only has the necessary items that need to be there; personal items such as pictures of my family hang on the wall at home or are on my desk at work. Some might get the impression from my wallet that I’m impersonal, or maybe don’t have a family. There would be no way they could know how important friends and family are to me.

1 comment:

  1. I had to read this essay one more time! It is very good and I love the comment "(I think this is where all the money is supposed to go?." So true, so true!
    Seana

    ReplyDelete